Cartoon Network Enterprises announced its strong, diversified portfolio, which includes this year’s global launch of the re-imaged franchise, The Powerpuff Girls, the relaunch of Ben 10 in Europe and Asia in Fall 2016 and the Americas in Spring 2017, and new licensing partners for many of its popular brands including Adventure Time, Steven Universe and Rick and Morty. The announcement comes at the beginning of the Licensing Expo held in Las Vegas, where the network will display this expanded portfolio at the Cartoon Network booth, #D170.
“We’re delighted to reveal our broadest and most varied portfolio to date, providing fans an opportunity to connect with each of our brands through diverse and well curated consumer products programs,” said Pete Yoder, vice president, Cartoon Network Enterprises for North America. “We’re thrilled to be working with a great roster of partners, and fans can expect unique offerings ranging from toys and games to apparel and accessories that will help bring their favorite characters to life.”
Anchoring the portfolio is The Powerpuff Girls, one of Cartoon Network’s most popular and enduring brands. Since their debut in 1998, Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup have charmed girls and women of all ages as the original ambassadors of girl power, juggling school work, fighting bad guys, and always saving the world before bedtime. The Powerpuff Girls are taking the world by storm this year with a new animated series from Cartoon Network Studios that premiered globally in April 2016 — and a full worldwide licensing program with a roster of more than 30 licensing partners in the U.S. alone. In addition to the previously announced global master toy partner, Spin Master, The Powerpuff Girls has a wide range of new licensing partners in various categories including:
- Funko is set to create collectible vinyl figures including POP!, Pocket Pop! Keychains and more. In the home category, Funko will create salt & pepper shakers, string lights, utensils and more. The exclusive POP! figures will launch in 2016, while the rest of the items will have wide distribution in 2017.
- Kids can bring their favorite girls back-to-school this year thanks to backpacks, lunch bags, messenger bags and more from Accessory Innovations.
- Jewelbots is introducing programmable, interactive friendship bracelets featuring Buttercup, Blossom, and Bubbles in late 2016.
- Smart phones, tablet cases and consumer electronics including headphones, digital cameras, selfie sticks and more will be offered from Sakar International in early 2017. They will also introduce flash lights, walkie talkies, and text messengers.
- Bulls I will produce trading cards, stickees, slapbands, puzzle erasers and more in early 2017.
- Galerie will make The Powerpuff Girls even sweeter in late 2017 with the introduction of seasonal candy.
Cartoon Network will debut a fresh take on the beloved Ben 10 animated series by re-introducing an energetic, fun-loving, 10-year-old Ben Tennyson with international premieres this fall in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), and the Asia-Pacific region (APAC), and will continue into 2017 with the U.S. and Latin America (LATAM). The series will feature many new and fan-favorite aliens and center around a healthy serving of action, excitement, and all-around fun.
- Playmates Toys is the global master toy partner for Ben 10 and will introduce figures, playsets, role play items and more in fall 2017.
A hit since its debut in 2010, Adventure Time is currently in its seventh season and has been greenlit for an eighth season. In addition to a massive and highly-engaged social media following, the show has received significant critical acclaim and awards. The series follows the adventures of Finn, his best friend Jake, and a dog with magical powers. Adventure Timehas more than 100 licensees globally, with products in all categories and all channels of distribution. New Adventure Time licensing partners include the following:
- Characters from Adventure Time will be ready to head back-to-school this fall and then the slopes next winter thanks to adult and children’s footwear, outerwear and snowboards from DC Shoes.
- Astro Gaming is introducing headphone speaker tags in late 2016.
- An Adventure Time four title library collection and cookbook from Insight Editions is set to hit shelves in October 2016.
On the heels of being named one of WIRED‘s 15 Best Shows of 2015, Cartoon Network Studios’ original series Steven Universe was recently greenlit for a fifth season. Created by Emmy® and Annie Award-nominated writer and storyboard artist Rebecca Sugar (Adventure Time) and featuring a stellar voice cast including Grammy-Award winner Estelle and BTVA Voice Acting Award-winner Zach Callison, Steven Universe, tells the story of three magical defenders of the planet and Steven, the proverbial “little brother” to the Crystal Gems – a team of magical guardians of humanity. New Steven Universe licensing partners include:
- Abrams is set to bring Steven Universe to life through books and calendars with an introduction at 2017 San Diego Comic-Con International.
- Headphone speaker tags from Astro Gaming will hit stores in late 2016.
An Adult Swim brand, the popular Rick and Morty animated comedy series follows a sociopathic genius scientist who drags his inherently timid grandson on insanely dangerous adventures across the universe. The series has been picked up for a third season following its immensely successful season two premiere in July 2015 in which it ranked #1 in its time period among all key adult demographics. New Rick and Morty licensing partners include:
- Dark Horse will create a Rick and Morty Art of Book that will be available during 2017 San Diego Comic-Con International.
- Astro Gaming is set to introduce headphone speaker tags in time for holiday 2016.